Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January 5, 2010: Houston, we have ignition


That's right. I am now holding (in my email inbox) the travel itinerary for my flight from Jacksonville to Dubai. My first leg begins mid-afternoon on Saturday. Of course, Jacksonville has been short on flights directly to Dubai, so I am first flying to Houston. Let's go to the map...


View My Flight in a larger map

Observe the two lines crossing Florida. Those lines depict what I like to call "back tracking." Ask the members of the Rafting Trip '08 that rode in my van how I feel about back tracking. (I swear... we may have gotten the nickel tour of Burlington, NJ, but it was a great detour. AND we still beat the others vans to West Virginia.)

After crossing Florida for the second time, I have another 13 hours to Dubai International. The reason for jumping back and forth like that is simple: everyone is going to Dubai these days! No, really, the "cooler" winter months (Avg High: 75, Avg Low: 60) are the peak of tourist season. All of the flights from JFK to Dubai are booked.

Let's talk about time travel. My trip originates in Jacksonville at 3:30pm, and I land in Houston at 5:00pm. My long leg takes off from Houston at 6:30pm and arrives in Dubai at 7:00pm. Look at that time traveling! It takes 90 minutes to get to Houston, but it only takes 30 minutes to get from Houston to Dubai... what's that? Local times? You mean... oh.

Yes, there's a slight change in time zones. The UAE is nine hours ahead of the East Coast. It works out even better for the challenged West Coasters. They need only change AM for PM or PM for AM to convert West Coast time to Dubai time. (We would not want to frazzle the Hippie's mind.)

I will arrive just in time to start work the next day. The Sharjah work week runs from Sunday to Thursday. Friday is a holy day or the weekend. Saturday is also part of the weekend; although, some employers require half days on Saturday.

In the coming days, I will be compiling my Sharjah/Dubai Cultural (and Otherwise) To-Do List. From what I have read so far, there is almost as much to do there as New York City. If you have suggestions, leave a comment.

Time to study more Rosetta Stone Arabic Level 1.

0 comments:

Post a Comment