Friday, February 5, 2010

how far we've come

Today marks the one-month anniversary of Making Waves. Can you believe that a month has passed? I filled out my fourth timesheet today. Four weeks! 28 Days! Just think how far we've come since I started the blog in January. (Well, yes, I have travelled 8,200 miles on the world's sixth longest flight. [Sorry, Emirates, you aren't the world's longest flight.])


Ah, yes, it has been a productive month for my Winter Work experience. Since arriving the second week of January, I have completed over 20 drawings including schematics and manufacturing and installation plans. I've also researched underwater cameras and remotely operated vehicles. I usually spend half of my week working in the office in Port Khalid and the other half on location with Haida at Al Jadaf. Last week, we finally secured a berth and lifting assignment for Haida. After 10 years of sitting in the murky waters of Port Khalid, she's in surprisingly good condition. Her lift was emotional for most of the project team.

Mind you, I'm working seven days a week, but I have had time to see a few sights. The Sharjah Aquarium was my first time out on the town. It was also the first time that I had really deployed my new Nikon D5000. I was really impressed by the quality of the pictures -- even the ones taken through the aquarium glass. I've been to the beach several times, and Scott surprised me one day after work with a kite surfing session. There hasn't been wind since that day, but there is hope for this weekend. I also had an impromptu visit to the Dubai Mall, Aquarium, and Fountain and the Burj Khalifa. No where else can you experience five of the world's greatest somethings within 500 feet of each other.

The blog has gone really well, too. Google Analytics reports that there have been more than 250 unique visitors representing 9 countries for a total of more than 600 visits. Even with my sporadic posting schedule, more than 65% of you have returned after your first visit. And while commenting is low (ahem.), many of you have sent Facebook messages or emails with your reactions to the posts.

The online photo album has also been well-attended for not having been mentioned very often. The Picasa album is home to all of the pictures that I've taken and posted on the blog. I also put additional pictures on the Picasa site that don't make it to the blog.

The last month on Making Waves has been rich in culture and adventure, but February is prepared to blow all of that away. On Sunday, my mum arrives for her own week of exploring in the Arabian sun. Before she can explore the UAE, we're both jetting to Cairo for a quick stroll around ancient Egypt with Professor Brier, my adjunct Egyptology professor at Webb. After we return, she'll spend a few days here in Sharjah and Dubai, and I will have less than two weeks of work remaining. Actually, I'll return just in time for the arrival of the newest Haida consultant, naval architect David Pedrick (Webb '70).

So keep reading (and commenting), and tell your friends! We're just getting started around here, and we might as well have some more travel companions for the journey.

How much does the UAE friggin' rock? A lot, I think... yep!


0 comments:

Post a Comment